Congratulations on your pregnancy and your interest in helping your postpartum health through your placenta!
Your placenta is perfectly made for you, by you! It is an amazing organ created to nourish baby in the womb and the postpartum mother. Some of the amazing things that consuming your placenta may help with are:
- Lessening the risk of postpartum hemorrhage and lessening the lochia phase.
- Providing the hormones human placental lactogen and prolactin to assist with your milk coming in sooner and maintaining a healthy supply throughout your nursing relationship.
- Replenishing iron lost from birth and preventing post-birth anemia. Low iron levels can lead to depressive symptoms in a new mother.
- Balancing out your hormone levels until the body is able to regulate on its own.
- Providing natural pain relief from the labor and birthing process.
- The placenta helps your uterus return to pre-pregnancy size.
- Lending you a consistent flow of oxytocin (the bonding and euphoric hormone).
- Replenishing your B-Vitamins and offering your body protein for energy.
- Protection from infection due to retained placenta or bacteria in the uterus.
- Traditional Chinese Medicine Method of Placenta Encapsulation (100-300 pills) – $300
- Heat Processed Placenta Encapsulation (100-300 pills) – $300
- TCM and ½ Raw Method Placenta Encapsulation – $300
- Placenta Salve – (4 oz tin) – $45 A salve or balm made of your placenta and a variety of herbs and oils offers healing properties to c-section scars once they are healed, perineal tearing, hemorrhoids, eczema, sun burn, diaper rash and more.
- Smoothie Cubes – $15
- Placenta Print – $25 Prints are made with your fresh placenta and beautiful colored ink transferred onto heavy watercolor paper. A plastic barrier is used to keep ink off of the placenta while still allowing your encapsulate to capture the placenta’s beauty
- Twins or Multiples – $25 flat additional charge
- Cord Keepsake – Free – Your baby’s umbilical cord is gently dehydrated into a small keepsake
- Placenta Tincture (4 oz bottle) $50 Putting part of your placenta in tincture form is another way to stretch out its longevity. A small portion of placenta is added to >100 proof alcohol and set to ferment for six weeks. Some of the benefits include hormone stabilization in your postpartum cycles, less bleeding during those cycles, energy and for menopause years down the road. The tincture can be used in any time of transition or emotional changes. A female child might benefit from placental tincture once she begins her menstrual cycle. If tinctures are stored properly they can last indefinitely. They are created with alcohol and presented to you in dropper bottle. Tinctures will be delivered at your post partum visit and you will “turn” it in your home.
Mandy Restivo-Walsh is Balanced Birth Supports resident Placenta Specialist. She has been encapsulating placentas since 2014, with thousands of capsules filled. Mandolin has completed a weekend in-person training for placenta encapsulation, and is working to finish her studies with the Associate of Placenta Preparation Arts, an intensive year-long course of study for placenta specialists. She has completed her OSHA blood born pathogen training,and is a certified HIV/AIDS educator. She has worked in the field of women’s health, sexuality/gender, and HIV/AIDS eduction since 1998 where she has developed a deep understanding and respect for universal precautions. Mandy is passionate about assisting new parents with the physical and emotional transition to parenthood. In addition to providing placenta encapsulation services, Mandy is a Lactation Counselor, Childbirth Educator, and Certified Birth and Postpartum Doula.