What Is A Doula?
The word “doula” comes from the ancient Greek meaning “a woman who serves” and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth; or who provides emotional and practical support during the postpartum period. Studies have shown that when doulas attend birth, labors are shorter with fewer complications, babies are healthier and they breastfeed more easily.
Schedule Your Free Consultation now!
How we help you find your awesome doula…
We are compassionate
We are expereinced
We are professional
We support YOUR birth
Meet the team at Balanced Birth Support
reduction in use of pitocin
decrease in the risk of newborns being admitted to a special care nursery
34% decrease in the risk of being dissatisfied with the birth experience*
reduction in cesarean births
increase chance of spontaneous vaginal birth
decrease in the use of any medications for pain relief
Doula Package Includes…
- Prenatal Meetings: 1st meeting is a free consultation either by phone or in person to discuss services and contract
2nd meeting (after contracted) is to discuss comfort measures, birth positions, birth plan consultation, resources, feeding options, nutrition, plans after birth etc.
- Full access to our lending library and local resource guide
- Once contracted you will have unlimited access to your doula via phone, text or email to ask questions, formulate a birth plan, search for references or voice any concerns
- 24 Hour On Call
- Labor and Delivery Support
- Continuous support to you and your birthing partner during labor and delivery
- Encourage nutrition and fluids for mother and all present for birth
- Help with relaxation and breathing techniques
- Suggest and help facilitate positions for comfort and relaxation
- Provide constant reassurance to both mother and birth partner
Encourage families to advocate for their wishes when needed
- Provide information and explanation of birth options
- Help mother and birthing partner feel comfortable in whatever environment they choose to birth
- Help with initial breastfeeding
- Remain with mother and birthing partner for an hour after birth, if desired
- Post-Partum Follow up
- Periodic check ins via phone and email during the first 4 days after delivery
- Talk with mother about any concerns or questions
- Discuss feeding progress
- Discuss nutrition and sleep for mom
- Available anytime postpartum for support, resources and referrals
Postpartum is either in person or virtual
“I also liked the feeling of having someone there for my husband. I think it took the stress/pressure off of him as this was our first laboring experience as well. As much as you read in books, etc., it’s a lot to digest and sometimes only makes things more confusing! Having a person there for the emotional support who really believes in what you are trying to do made me feel great. I could really feel her joy when I had my baby All in all, it was a wonderful experience, and I don’t think I could have asked for more.”A very happy mom
Your doula will…
Recognize that your birth is a key experience that you will remember all of your life
Understand the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a you and your partner during labor
Assist you and your partner as you prepare for and for and carry out your birth preferences
Stay with you throughout labor, supporting your decisions
- Provide emotional support, physical comfort measures and an objective viewpoint
- Facilitate communication between you, your partner and your clinical care providers
- Perceives her role as nurturing and protecting your and your partner’s memory of the birth experience
- Help you get the information you need to make informed decision
Questions? Ask Here!
Payments can be made via cash, check, money order or credit card via paypal or square (convenience fees may apply).
Payment plans can be arranged.
After the birth of your baby you will be provided you with an invoice for services provided, a letter for your insurance company to submit for reimbursement.